Monday, July 28, 2008

Rock On!

Not that you really NEED a tutorial to tell you how to paint rocks. But, this is a great project that my girls & I do often. It's just fun & relaxing & the rock is your blank canvas!

The first thing to do is go rock collecting. Gather rocks of all shapes & sizes.

Now wash off all the dirt & leaves & slug guts with some soapy water. (Don't you love my new handmade scrubbie? I got it last weekend at "Art in the Park".)
Once the rocks are clean, sit them out in the sunshine to dry.
Get your supplies ready! You'll need acrylic paints...
...& paint brushes. Now, where did I put my brushes???
Oh, there they are!
And it's a good idea to lay out some paper on your work surface -no mess on the table & easy clean up!

Paint away! I couldn't resist painting sweets.
I found a treasure in this big ole rock because it's gonna make a GREAT door stop for my art studio!

My little porcupine kinda has bear ears, but he's still sweet. These rocks are an example of how you don't have to paint the WHOLE rock--you can let the cool little specks & flecks show.

OR, you can paint the whole rock like I did here. These are some garden markers I made 2 years ago for my mom & grandmother's vegetable garden. They plopped the rocks at the end of each row of scrummy yummy veggies.


You may want to coat your rocks with some clear spray sealer. If they will be outdoors, this is advisable. The colors may also fade a bit from the sunshine. These garden markers were sprayed with about 5 coats.
Check out THIS LINK for some super, super, super cute ideas from Martha Stewart about different rock crafts!

Rock on!!

12 comments:

  1. Those are awesome, I love your tutorials with your fun pictures! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo! Rock on with your crafty self girl!!lol...
    You always share the coolest ideas!
    XO
    ~Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are SO CUTE nikki! our local cafe would love those for table markers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So i feel like such a copy-cat!! But we are soooo doing this sometime this week. Wish i read it earlier when the daughter was asking "do you have any ideas on what i can do?" Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to say I love your veggie garden rocks the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea! I love the idea for putting them at the end of your garden rows!!! I am going to have to try that! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These (ahem) rock! We are huge fans of rock painting here but yours have inspired me to go do even more with my gang.

    Neat site!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found your blog throught The Crafty Crow. I'm lovin it! Thanks a bunch for the inspiration, I need it!

    take care!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab-u-lous! (Love the paintbrushes in your hair, too, you trend-setter!)
    We just went rafting and gathered a whole bag of "treasure" rocks. Tomorrow is paintin' time!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for all these inspirations.

    i set a link at my blog.
    i hope you'll agree.

    many greetings, doro.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the rocks, I may have to borrow the veggie rock idea as a mothers day gift for my mum. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool my daughter and I painted rocks when she was little and now thank you for reminding me I will again paint with the grandkids

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.